Succour & Sustenance
From seasonal foods, meat and vegetable preserving and celebratory meals, discover how the men, women and children used their skills to give them the best chance to survive the Mayflower voyage.
• Taste and make regional cheeses using traditional recipes from the villages of the Pilgrims
• Get hands on making the breads and long-lasting sourdoughs that were a staple food for the families
• Learn all about the wild meat featured in the very first Thanksgiving meal in the New World
• Find out the history of the Raised Pie used by the Pilgrims to preserve their meat and learn how to make your own
• See the process behind how Small Beer - the table water of the time - is made and sample the product
• Visit the attractions on the historic Welbeck Estate including The School of Artisan Food, The Harley Gallery, Portland Collection, Welbeck Abbey and the award-winning Welbeck Farm Shop
How to explore by train
Retford, a short distance from historic Welbeck Estate, can be easily accessed by train from London Kings Cross.
Subscribe to our blog posts. We are planning to post about once a month. We will never share your details and you can unsubscribe with a single click.